Seaweed is delicious in muffins, especially in savoury muffins, topped off with a spoonful of ‘sailors-butter’ (also from Ocean Greens). Serve these umami treats with a special breakfast or as part of a meal instead of bread.
250 g wholegrain spelt flour
1 full tablespoon of baking powder
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 tbsp yeast flakes
1 tbsp dried sea salad
1 tbsp dulse flakes
rind and juice of 1/2 organic lemon
1/2 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp smoked paprika powder
6 sundried tomatoes in oil, sliced
2 spring onions, finely chopped
100 ml olive oil
250 ml oat or almond milk
roasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven on 190 degrees.
- Line a silicone muffin tray with 8 paper muffin cases.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, yeast flakes, sea lettuce, dulce, lemon rind, thyme, smoked paprika powder, tomatoes, and spring onions into a bowl and mix well.
- Mix oil, oat milk and lemon juice in another bowl. Leave for 5 minutes (the milk will start to form lumps, this is ok and just what we need). Then add the mixture tho the flour mixture and start stirring. Stir until all lumps have disappeared but do not overwork.
- Spread the mixture over the muffin cases, garnish with some roasted sesame seeds and place into the oven. Bake for about 25 minutes until golden and ready. Serve with ‘Seaman’s Butter’
Makes 8-10 Muffins
Tip: To make this recipe gluten free replace the spelt flour for a combination of buckwheat, rice and corn flour and add about 30gr of Arrowroot.
*This recipe is from the book Ocean Greens, written by our co-founder Lisette.